Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Newsworthy?

So everyday I attempt to read as many different news sources as I can. This evening I went to foxnews.com to see what the latest was on the energy blockade in Gaza City, and do you know what I found as the headline piece? "Heath Ledger Dead". My first thought was, "Who"? Not only is this on the front page, but several other stories on their main page are devoted to this topic. I understand that the media is in business to make money, rather than to inform, but why is this so important. Did nothing else happen today? Well let's just see. Today, Israel allowed medicine and fuel into Gaza City, Fred Thompson decided to drop out of the Republican race, World Powers decided to draft a resolution for sanctions in Iran, The Fed Chairman announced a 3/4 point cut in the federal-funds target rate, and Jose Padilla, the American accused of plotting with Al-Qaeda to detonate a dirty bomb is given 17 years.
I found these headlines in 10 minutes, and I believe that everyone of them is more important than another Hollywood 20 something that died. Do I care that he died? Sure, I don't like to see anyone die prematurely. However the media does us no favors when this is the focus. The average American wants nothing better than to sit down in front of the TV or the Internet and be spoon fed the important topics of the day. When this is the kind of garbage that is fed to us day in and day out, it is insulting.

1 comment:

Bill said...

I agree...America's fascination for people who are famous for being well known is staggering. I think it was the folks on the Brittany Spears suicide watch who had nothing else to write about.