Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Shoot First, Ask Forgiveness Later

It's a good thing that I never stayed in the Navy long enough to obtain a commission and command a naval surface vessel. If so, I'm fairly certain that I would be the media's favorite target right now. Unfortunately for the military in today's society, I would also be relieved of command, and quietly be made to retire (see story).
Sixty years ago, if Japanese or German vessels had gotten that close to a U.S. warship, the Navy would have vaporized the offending vessel, the captain would be a hero, and the crew would paint the silhouette of a ship on its hull to depict the kill.
I know, this isn't WWII. If fact, outside of the DoD and the State Department, we're not really at war. However, even though we're not officially "at war", it seems to me that a shot across the bow, would have been warranted in this case. It certainly would have been a deterrent. However, the Secretary of Defense and the President would have come under extreme criticism from the Left.
My question is why? Attack boat crews don't just arbitrarily wake up one morning and say "gee, I think I'll play chicken with a U.S. Navy warship". By doing nothing we condone this behavior, and before too long we're seeing news footage of one of our vessels with a 20 foot hole in its hull.

1 comment:

Kristina said...

Remember the British Navy? They didn't shoot back and they got captured and held hostage in Iran. Perhaps they're feeling us out?