Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Confessions of a Part Time Football Fan

I apologize for my lapse in postings. I was out of town last week and unfortunately, I was without Internet access. Surprisingly, this happens quite frequently when I stay in billeting on base.
The title of this post says it all. I am a part time football fan, at best. It's not that I hate the sport, in fact there is something about man vs. man vs. nature that makes me want to set up a lean-to in 20 degree weather. I've just always been an ice hockey fan. I enjoy the speed of a full sprint on ice, and the finesse of medieval juggler combined with the endurance to go toe-to-toe with a 260 pound Russian.
My issue with football, as well as basketball (even though I'm not convinced that basketball is a true sport) is the culture that it celebrates. These athletes have been raised to demi-god status for what they can accomplish on the field, however, thanks to the media, we know too much about their private life. There has been a rise of professional athletes involved in violent crimes over the last ten years. It seems as though the more problems the athlete has during his off time, the more attention he gets on game day. Am I the only one that sees a problem with this. These men are looked upon as heroes by countless children and teenagers. The more the media publicizes their exploits, the more it seems that their lifestyles are condoned. These are not the kind of role models I want for my sons.

No comments: